Unless you have an obvious leak because you see the water, it is a good idea to do a bit of investigating first before you call your plumber to report a plumbing leak. Here are some ways to find out if you have plumbing leaks:
- Check your water bill- If your water bill is higher than usual and it isn’t because of a rate increase or increased usage, there is a good chance you have plumbing leaks.
- Check your water meter- Shut off all water inside your home or business and then check to see if the water meter is still registering water flow. You can do this by noting the number of the meter and then checking it again in a few minutes to see if it shows a higher number.
- Check your yard- If you have outdoor plumbing leaks, you may notice areas of your lawn that are a lusher green. You might also have a soggy area or see standing water.
- Check under your appliances- Sometimes a leak is small enough that it doesn’t run out from under your washing machine, refrigerator, water heater or other appliance, but stays hidden underneath instead.
- Check the toilets- A tip for checking to see if you have a silent toilet leak is to place a couple of drops of food coloring in the tank. If the color shows up in the toilet bowl a few minutes later, it means there is a leak.
There can be several other indications of plumbing leaks that can confirm an issue. If you notice a musty odor, hear water dripping, notice a discoloration or bulging of a wall, or your air conditioner is struggling to control humidity, it is time to call for help. At East Atlantic Plumbing LLC, we are experienced with finding plumbing leaks and resolving them. We serve both residential and commercial customers in the Wilmington, North Carolina area as a full-service plumbing contractor. Reach out today to learn more or to schedule service.